Knuke said:
Anybody know how to do that mind control move in Injustice 2 with Enchantress? Looked in her move list an couldn't find it
Gear move, if you can't find it. Of fucking course. Damnit Boon.
Pinkanator said:
Gear move, if you can't find it. Of fucking course. Damnit Boon.
Damn... is opening boxes the only way to unlock it?
Knuke said:
Damn... is opening boxes the only way to unlock it?
yyyeeeepppp
This is going to be way too many words for page 16 of a thread like this, but I've been good all week, and I need to be self-indulgent for a bit now. Let me tell you about how one game unintentionally did mind control as a story element really well. Let me tell you about XCOM.

Well, X-COM, actually. That's the original game from 1994, which 2012 got a remake titled XCOM. Including the games' subtitles doesn't make their names any less confusing, so I'll just use the dash.

Both games, in case you haven't heard of them, are mainly turn-based tactics games about fighting off an alien invasion, with a strategy component about running the organization that does the fighting; and both have psionics, as a weapon on the battlefield, which you can use to inflict panic, mind control enemies, or even do crazier stuff. It's wielded by the aliens first, but you pretty much reverse engineer all of the aliens' weapons and use their arsenal against them, and psionics is included in that in both games.

XCOM is a modern game made by an AAA studio, carefully balanced and professionally written all the way through. When you research psionic abilities, your scientist and engineer characters go through this whole song and dance about what a potentially huge force you're inflicting upon the world, and what a responsibility it is to those who have the luck - whether good or bad - to be the ones to wield the power. I didn't *quite* agree that the characters would have had exactly that reaction, but the way the moment was written was compelling regardless.

When you use those psionic abilities on the battlefield, they're... they're good, but they're just good in the sense that they let you stay on the difficulty curve. The balance stays tight throughout, and so, psionics just kind of feels like another weapon.

X-COM, the original, though? Well. For a start, it wasn't a game with much room for ceremony, not least because you simply couldn't fit a lot of text on the low-resolution screens of the day. So you research psionic labs where you can measure and train your psionic agents, and you research psi-amps to actually use those abilities in combat, and in all that you see maybe two words that aren't directly about game mechanics. I don't want to invoke the "your imagination fills it in better than the author ever could" trope too much, but this is one place where it's pretty much necessary.

Thing is, X-COM was basically made by two dudes in the early nineties, and although they took their time with development, it was a really complex game and they had limited resources, so they kind of failed to really balance some endgame abilities properly.

So you field your best psionic agents, the ones with the highest levels of raw inborn psionic strength, in battle. Lacking skill, they start off pretty useless. Then they get a bit useful but unreliable. Then they start getting pretty good. They can actually mind control now on a good day, instead of just causing panic. And then they keep getting better. Now you can trust them to mind control the lower ranks of aliens pretty consistently. Missions that used to be about careful tactics, danger and death become farces where you just mind control all the aliens, have them throw away their weapons, and kindly walk right in front of your weapons (if you can even be bothered to shoot them, since you can just have them blow themselves up). And they keep getting better. There are limits, but with the way the game's balanced, before they reach those limits, strong psions will already be able to consistently mind control even the most resistant enemies in even the worst conditions.

And, you know, I think about this. The aliens have a pretty scary level of technological lead on you, but most of it wouldn't be that dangerous on a global scale. So what if a blaster launcher falls into the wrong hands? Worst comes to worst, someone levels a city block or two (blaster launchers make big bangs) and kills probably quite a lot of people, but then they'll be out of ammo, and there are far bigger bombs in the wrong hands in the world already. Most alien technology depends on a material that can't be duplicated on Earth, Elerium-115, so attempting to reverse engineer it and make more wouldn't be useful unless you have a decent stockpile of it, and those are going to be pretty well guarded.

But psionics? If I were the X-COM commander, I would pretty definitely destroy all of my psi-amps, and I would seriously considering executing every single one of my psions after the war is over, because they are just *way* too dangerous to keep their abilities, and maybe too dangerous to live. X-COM psionics doesn't need need line of sight, just a friend or psionic puppet to act as a spotter for you. It doesn't consume any resource except a bit of time, and can be used as many times as you like in a mission - if psions get tired, it doesn't show up in the game mechanics. It works hundreds of meters away. How suble the mind control is, I don't know - but since both you and the aliens always immediately know when one of their own is mind controlled, it might be a "meat puppet" type of body control... but there are also lore indications that national leaders might be getting controlled behind the scenes, with none being the wiser.

Anyway, that's my lesson on the subject of "how a badly balanced game mechanic beats good writing". X-COM does become a bore toward the end unless you deliberately limit your use of psi. But if you don't... then I always imagine that after the end of your campaign, your psions are going to be basically a combination of unexploded land mines and Babylon 5-style psionic human nuclear weapons put together, a relic of the war that might go off any moment, and when they do, you're not going to survive the blast. If they want something from the world, they *will* get it, and nobody's going to stand in their way.
Playing Through Closers Online and there's few mentions of Hypnosis/MC stuff.

A few missions there's this one puppet like enemy that causes part of the squad to constantly feel angry, joyful, laughing, sad, etc.

There's also one instance of a special ops member becoming controlled in order to activate some dimensional portal devices or something.

Oh and there's also this scene where a girl who is in cahoots with the evil loli and shota, gets trapped in a caccoon and is being forcefully transformed.

The third one is the only one you actually... SEE though, the others are more just in stated in dialogue.
Metals said:

A few missions there's this one puppet like enemy that causes part of the squad to constantly feel angry, joyful, laughing, sad, etc.

There's also one instance of a special ops member becoming controlled in order to activate some dimensional portal devices or something.

Oh and there's also this scene where a girl who is in cahoots with the evil loli and shota, gets trapped in a caccoon and is being forcefully transformed.

The third one is the only one you actually... SEE though, the others are more just in stated in dialogue.
I hate it when its only in text
i'm playing through 'tokyo Xanadu ex+ [fun game by the way totally recommend it] and there are multiple instances where memory manipulation occurs in fact its implied that its been done to multiple people through out the game but you only actually see it happen like twice in the whole game and i'm currently on the final chapter too.
Metals said:

Kind of spoilers(I don't even think it comes up ingame but is explored through one of the character background trailers) but one of the future playable characters was a thief who had their personality destroyed through torture and was brainwashed into being a Vulture agent.